Friday, May 26, 2006

I did it:)

I detested driving till thursday, loved it on friday and hated it again on saturday. I cried saturday evening cause i dint want to drive in Mumbai. The heat, the stress, the honks and the idiots who curse a woman driver were getting on my nerves already after one week of driving on the mumbai streets.

I got my license in 2002 august. Since i got my license, i never drove. Till this summer, where i decided its high time i got over my fear.So got a driver and have been driving all over Mumbai since last sunday. The best drive so far was friday morning when i drove to marine drive. I love that place. Driving there is heaven. But saturday's drive, thats yesterday's wasnt so good again and it killed my morale.

So after crying for a long time yesterday about not wanting to drive and wondering if id ever overcome this irrational fear i sat and spoke to my folks. I told dad i couldnt drive and i was mortally afraid of killing someone or banging into another car. And then he and mom said something to me which changed my whole perspective. They both said, that driving is a skill that would always be useful in future. If i decide to settle down in Mumbai or abroad, driving would get me places and a skill learnt never goes waste. Dad said, that if im lucky enough to have a car for myself and am at an age where i can master the skill, why shouldnt i make most of this chance?

I realised then, that i had to come over my fear. Had to over come it and drive my mom to work today morning. So this sunday morning, i took my driver for a drive from 6.30 to 8.30 am to mulund and chembur and drove in heavy traffic without killing a soul or bumping the car anywhere. Came home, picked up mom and dropped her to college too. Am taking my cousin for her bday lunch too this afternoon to shivaji park and im sure its going to be a good drive.

Dad's thrilled today morning and mom was so proud of telling her colleagues that her daughter drove her to work today:) Made my day to see her smile. Im so glad i have parents like these, who encourage their kid to such an extent that you suddenly feel like you have all the confidence in the world. I enjoyed driving today.

For the first time in a week, i loved the drive. The breeze on my face and bryan adams on radio just made me forget any fear i had whatsoever. I think im going to get more pampered now, considering ill just take my car and drive rather than take the public transport:) But i doubt that might happen, cause i love the mumbai buses and trains so i guess ill have to just have a healthy balance between the two:)

It feels good to have overcome one more hurdle in my life, which i never thought i would overcome. I achieved it and yes i still hate the traffic and the honks but my curses of "bum" and "pig" surprise the male drivers to such an extent that they automatically slow down!!he he:)
So as long as the bums and pigs work, driving is good:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nams,
Both Dad and myself are really happy with the confidence you have shown,you are bound to go places!!!
Keep it up and you will soon be painting the town red with your RED
MARUTHI.
Take Care be good God Bless.
Love DA&MA

Anonymous said...

good for you kiddo...keep it rolling, and you'll do great:)

Ajeya said...

congratulations! way to go. fears suck!

Viju said...

See...you didn't kill anyone...I told ya you wouldn't....
You are a case study for REBT!!! And a success story too....
Someday somewhere...I'll be giving your example...and like Diwan Ma'm I'll say..."I won't tell you the name but..."